Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Historical Fiction YAY!




Historical fiction is what I would probably consider my favorite genre, even though a good book is simply a good book no matter what genre it is in. I loved the chapter in the text because Ann Rinaldi is one of my top authors along with Karen Hesse and Richard Peck who both write historical fiction.




I took this week to revisit some old favorites and find one new one. Wolf by the Ears was the first Rinaldi book I read. I was captured first by the cover picture of the girl in the southern dress. While I read this book when I was probably in 7th or 8th grade, the subject matter of miscegenation, or when white slave owners fathered a family with a slave mistress, stuck with me into college where I chose to write my honor's history 25 plus page paper on the Thomas Jefferson account. I truly think my interest in that subject that made read book after book of nonfiction started with Rinaldi's Wolf. I have read many other Rinaldi books and have yet to read one where I haven't been completely entertained and felt as if I learned a lot. Since she is so thourough with her research, I can feel comfortable believing what I learn through these fictional novels. I'm happy to see the cover of Wolf hasn't changed this that was something that really drew me in almost 15 years ago.




I also reread A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago. It may not ring as true to students out here in the Pacific Northwest, but if you ever end up in the Mid-west, I highly recommend these books since they tell a lot of local history of Illinois and Missouri.




The new book I read was the historical fiction graphic novel mix that won the Scott O'Dell award this year called The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan. While it was a pretty good book overall, it it fell short close in my opinion to the historical depth that other traditional historical fiction books explore. This book was unique in that it is a graphic novel. As far as graphic novels go, and my opinion of them is pretty low right now, this on was pretty good.

3 comments:

  1. "Wolf by the Ears" sounds amazing. I see what you mean about the cover; it certainly catches the eye. And what an interesting topic!


    I don't think I've read an Rinaldi before, but I will have to now. You make me feel like I'm missing something special.

    Hmm, would you recommend giving "The Storm in the Barn" a chance? I feel the same way about graphic novels, so finding some that are decent is definitely a chore for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim: definately read the Rinaldi first before "The Storm in the Barn." Rinaldi has written tons of books. While "Wolf" is my favorite, simply pick a historical topic that you want to read about and then see what she has to offer. Another one I like is "Another Bend in the River" which is about Native Americans. I can't recommend her enough, especially if you enjoy learning something while still enjoying a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roots are in the Midwest, but I grew up in the Southwest. I still find A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago really fun to read.

    ReplyDelete