Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Adolescent Mind in Movies!

For this assignment I decided to go for an old classic rather than a newer movie. (My second choice was New Moon.) So, I enjoyed watching The Breakfast Club which came out in 1985. At the time when it came out, the reviewers who weren't fans of the breakfast club, said that all of the parental figures in the movie were abusive or antagonistic. Also, the groups that the different groups fit into were a little if over-simplistic, but I think that was the point. So many adolescents however, can identify with this because they think the world has pushed them into these roles, but no one really really knows them. Also, the idea these teens can present a unified front against the adult world may be satisfying to a teenager who feels as if their parents don't understand them.

This movie would also appeal to adolescents because it doesn't sugar coat much. "The criminal" or Bender, has cigar burns from his dad; "The princess" is used by her parents as a tool against one another; "The jock" is being forced into a future that he doesn't want; "The brain's" parents don't show any compassion; "The nut case's" parents sexually abuse her, or that is what is implied. There is sex, drugs, and cussing.

I think this movie would still appeal to adolescents today. The movie's music and the characters' outfits are outdated, but I think a 15 year old would still get into this movie.

At times, from the point of view of a parent or teacher, I didn't like this movie. (I'm not sure if I would have liked it as a teen. I was pretty straight and narrow, and didn't like to hear about other kids being hurt even if it was a movie.) However, there were also scenes in the movie such as when Emilio Estevez explains what he was in detention for, made me realize that a lot of the perceived "badness" of teenagers are because of the messages society and more importantly what their first role models, their parents, send them.

3 comments:

  1. Adolescents really seem to like "outsider" books and movies. I remember enjoying this movie when it came out. You are right that the stereotypes are a big part of why this movie would appeal to teens. I wonder if it has been redone with a new group of teen actors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, it has not been redone. When thinking about the messages we send, I think one thing to keep in mind is that teenagers, like every other age group, live up to expectations. On the flip side, they also live down to expectations. It is so important not to label a child a troublemaker, because it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to know how teens today feel about this movie. It clearly has a cult following of older viewers, but I don't hear a lot of kids talking about it. I disliked it the first time I saw it at 15, but watched it last year and loved it. It's mostly a perspective thing, but today's teens are experiencing more at a younger age so it will be interesting to know how their views progress.

    ReplyDelete