Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Censored Books


In honor of the censored books week, I decided to read some of the man who chimed in censorship in the textbook, Chris Crutcher. I've read a few of his books, but it has been a few years, so I chose to read, Ironman. Now this book, covers the gamut of issues and it was printed prior to what I consider the mainstreaming of many of these issues. For example, while gay rights a common topic in the news today, when IM was published in 1995 it wasn't as well, mainstream. This book also covers problems such as bullying, molestation, child abuse, etc.
The basic premise of the book is our protagonist, Bo Brewster is training for a modified Ironman when he is sentenced to an anger management class. Within this class he finds not only his support group for his Ironman, but he find his support group for life.
While, I would probably get pretty upset if my middle schooler came home with any of Crutcher's books (and I can say that from the perspective of a parent who has read several) I think these are excellent books for students of high school age. Yes, Crutcher approaches some very tough and sensitive subjects. And yes, he does not gloss over them in any way. But, yes, he handles these real situation in a mature, sensitive nature. I am an admirer of Crutcher because he presents the topics but doesn't glamorize them or use crudeness to tell his story. I think that while there are age-appropriate materials, I also think that Crutcher doesn't market or pander to preteens.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Crutcher's books but after reading about him and his comments in our text. I definitely think I will pick one of his up. I agree with you, there are some books I wouldn't want one of my children to read until they are in high school, and sometimes not even then depending on their maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sledding Hill was requested by a very thoughtful 7/8 English teacher at the middle school. Quite a few of his students read Crutcher and some of the girls have asked for My Sister's Keeper and also Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete