Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Did My Perspective on YAL or Adolescent Literature Change?

I have one small amendment to to make about my thoughts on what I think adolescence is in relationship to young adult literature. The book states that YAL is usually about a teenager or young adult. While I still think that adolescence is defined by the developmental occurrences rather than the age, Pam Cole writes that most YA books are geared to the life experiences that this age group is going through.

Here what I wonder and feel free to respond. I ask this because of the convergence of two things. First the current generation in adolescence is the Harry Potter generation, and they are voracious readers (or at least book buyers Cook states in chapter 2) once hooked. Also, American culture in general is more accepting of and able to support (due to relatively luxurious lives) an extended adolescence. So, as the current generation in adolescence begins to move into young adulthood and adulthood, will we see so majority of YA books begin to focus more on (or at least expand to include) twenty-somethings?

1 comment:

  1. You pose a very interesting question... I think that there are all ready YA books out there geared towards 20 somethings... aka the whole Twilight thing, Harry Potter (even though it has a young charter many adults are in love with the books)

    I personally think that we get into trouble when we put age limits on what someone can or cannot read due the their age. Everybody is different and the same can be said about their reading choices and readiness.

    ReplyDelete